Topography of Terror
Topography of Terror (Topographie des Terrors) contains 15 information stations, in German and English, about Hitler’s violent regime. Just beyond the perimeter, you can see the remains of old prison cells and the largest section of the Berlin Wall that remains standing.
Many half-day city tours and Third Reich history tours, including walking and Segway tours, visit Topography of Terror, along with other Berlin sights such as the Brandenburg Gate (Brandenburger Tor), the Reichstag, and the Checkpoint Charlie Museum.
Things to Know Before You Go
The Topography of Terror museum is a must for history buffs.
Entrance to the museum is free, and free guided tours in English are given on Sundays.
The museum, exhibitions, and bathrooms are all wheelchair accessible.
How to Get There
Topography of Terror is located in Berlin’s Mitte district, within walking distance of Potsdamer Platz, Checkpoint Charlie, and the Trabi Museum. To get there by public transit, take the S-bahn or bus M41 to Anhalter Bahnhof or bus M29 to Wilhelmstrasse/Kochstrasse.
When to Get There
Open daily, the Topography of Terror is one of the most popular museums in Berlin. Try to visit during the week, and arrive early in the day or later in the afternoon to avoid large crowds.
The Original Purpose of the Building
Beginning in 1933, the Gestapo used the former building on the site of Topography of Terror as a “house prison” to persecute and torture political prisoners. Over 15,000 dissidents, including members of resistance groups and of several plots to assassinate Hitler, were held here by the Gestapo before being sent off to prisons or concentration camps.
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Hamburg
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Bohemia
- GDR Watch Tower (DDR-Wachturm)
- Museum for Communication Berlin
- Checkpoint Charlie
- Legoland Discovery Centre Berlin
- Potsdamer Platz
- Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe (Holocaust Memorial)
- Deutscher Dom
- Berlin Musical Instrument Museum (Musikinstrumenten-Museum)
- Berlin Jewish Museum (Jüdisches Museum)
- German Museum of Technology (Deutsches Technikmuseum)
- Berlin Gallery (Berlinische Galerie)