El Rey Archaeological Zone (Zona Arqueológica El Rey)
If you’re staying in Cancun, visiting El Rey Archaeological Zone—also known as El Rey Ruins—is a great way to see ancient Maya ruins without traveling to Chichen Itza or Tulum. At the ruins, you can explore Maya history, take pictures of the many iguanas that live there, and enjoy views of Nichupte Lagoon and the Hotel Zone from atop the structures. Visit on your own or as part of a full-day tour of the area. Some excursions visit El Rey Ruins along with a cenote (underground swimming hole), an interactive zoo, and a ziplining park.
Things to Know Before You Go
These ancient ruins are a must-see for history buffs.
Remember to bring sun protection, plenty of water, and shoes suitable for walking on rough terrain.
The ruins are not accessible to wheelchairs or strollers.
How to Get There
The archaeological zone is located at the westernmost tip of Mexico’s Yucatan Peninsula, in Cancun’s Hotel Zone. Adjacent to the Iberostar Golf Club, the ruins are roughly 15 minutes by road from Cancun International Airport. The easiest way to get there is by taxi or on a guided tour.
When to Get There
You can visit the archaeological site year-round, although the Cancun Hotel Zone is busiest from December through April, when the weather tends to be sunny and warm. There are fewer crowds during hurricane season (May through October), but be sure to check the weather for storms.
What to See near El Rey Ruins
Mexico’s Caribbean Quintana Roo region is full of attractions, both natural and man-made. Nearby Playa del Carmen is a popular spot for swimming, sunbathing, and shopping. The Maya ruins at Coba are also a must-see, with a 138-foot-high (42-meter-high) stone pyramid. Further Maya ruins at Tulum and Chichen Itza are also great spots to explore. For an island getaway, visit the shores of Isla Mujeres or Cozumel.
- Things to do in Riviera Maya & the Yucatan
- Things to do in Playa del Carmen
- Things to do in Cozumel
- Things to do in Tulum
- Things to do in Costa Maya
- Things to do in Merida
- Things to do in Ambergris Caye
- Things to do in Belize City
- Things to do in Hopkins
- Things to do in Grand Cayman
- Things to do in San Pedro Sula
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in The Cayes
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Cancun Christ the King Church (Iglesia de Cristo Rey)
- Palapas Park (Parque Las Palapas)
- Cenote Nohoch Nah Chich
- Cancun Scenic Tower (Torre Escénica)
- Jolly Roger Pirate Ship
- Captain Hook Cancun
- La Isla Shopping Village
- Interactive Aquarium Cancun
- Cancun Wax Museum (Museo de Cera Cancún)
- Mandala Cancun Nightclub
- Cancun Hotel Zone (Avenida Kukulkan)
- Cancun Underwater Museum of Art (Museo Subacuático de Arte)
- Mayan Museum of Cancun (Museo Maya de Cancún)
- Dolphin Beach (Playa Delfines)
- Kin Ha Water Park (Balneario Kin Ha)