Known for its miles of sandy shores and waterways that landed it the title of the “Venice of America,” Fort Lauderdale is a sunny destination popular with families thanks to attractions such as Butterfly World. Head straight to the beaches; take to the water for dolphin-spotting boat rides, cocktail cruises, or water sports lessons; or tour the city by boat, Segway, or on foot.
Shore excursions to glitzy Miami and the Everglades National Park are also popular options for first-time visitors or those short on time. With so much to see and do, staying a few days on either side of your cruise is recommended.
Things to Know Before You Go
- Port Everglades provides free Wi-Fi and parking facilities (for a flat daily fee), as well as taxi, shuttle, and bus service.
- Shore excursions are convenient ways to visit major attractions like the Everglades or nearby Miami.
- Water taxi is a popular mode of transport in Fort Lauderdale and pre-purchasing daily, unlimited tickets can help you save money.
- Beach bums will be well-catered for in Fort Lauderdale, which boasts 7 miles (11 kilometers) of shoreline, as well golfers and yachters.
How to Get to Fort Lauderdale From Port Everglades
Downtown Fort Lauderdale is 4 miles (7 kilometers) north of Port Everglades and taxis are plentiful at the dock. Some hotels provide complimentary pickup and drop-off services, while select cruise lines offer shuttles to and from the nearby airports.
Port Everglades is one of the busiest cruise ports in the world, so allow yourself plenty of time before your ship’s departure. The currency is the US dollar and the main language is English, although you may also hear Spanish and French Creole.
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Boca Raton
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in West Palm Beach
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
- Things to do in Freeport
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Fort Myers
- Things to do in Key West
- Things to do in Cocoa Beach
- Things to do in Cape Canaveral
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Intracoastal Waterway Fort Lauderdale
- Jungle Queen Riverboat
- Riverwalk Fort Lauderdale
- Las Olas Boulevard
- Historic Stranahan House Museum
- Las Olas Beach
- NSU Art Museum
- Fort Lauderdale Antique Car Museum
- Museum of Discovery and Science
- Dania Beach Pier
- Fort Lauderdale Beachfront
- Hugh Taylor Birch State Park
- Hollywood Beach
- Hard Rock Cafe Hollywood Florida
- Flamingo Gardens