This large park includes several activities for families and fitness enthusiasts, including nature trails, lakes—you can rent bikes and boats—and gardens. For children, there are two playgrounds and water parks, plus a miniature train ride and railroad museum. There are plenty of picnicking areas, and there are also concessions with meals and snacks. Lakes Park is also part of the Great Florida Birding Trail.
Things to Know Before You Go
This park offers fantastic activities for families and nature lovers.
Wi-Fi is available in the public areas.
Only non-motorized boats are allowed.
Visitors may fish in the lake with the proper license.
Dogs are not allowed at this park.
Swimming is not allowed in the lake.
How to Get There
Lakes Park is located on Gladiolus Drive in Fort Myers, Florida. You’ll find ample parking on-site for a paid day pass. From downtown Fort Myers, head south on U.S. 41 S (Tamiami Trail) to Gladiolus Drive and turn right. The nearest bus stop is S. Cleveland Avenue at Gladiolus, about a 15-minute walk away.
When to Get There
The park is open daily from 7am to dusk, and there are events throughout the week. The Wednesday Farmers’ Market, a popular destination for locals, runs October through April. Children’s programming is held frequently, too, including Story Time in the Children’s Garden, and themed train rides for Easter and Christmas. The first Saturday of the month, birders can partake in a Lakes Park Walking Tour with Bird Patrol.
Making the Lake
The park’s lake began its life in the 1960s as a man-made lake at a rock quarry. Its fresh water is a combination of groundwater, surface water runoff, and rain. Over time, this became a popular spot for a variety of wildlife, including American alligators, egrets, herons, and other birds.
- Things to do in Florida
- Things to do in Naples
- Things to do in Sarasota
- Things to do in St Petersburg
- Things to do in Tampa
- Things to do in Clearwater
- Things to do in Boca Raton
- Things to do in Everglades National Park
- Things to do in West Palm Beach
- Things to do in Fort Lauderdale
- Things to do in Miami
- Things to do in Orlando
- Things to do in Key West
- Things to do in Grand Bahama Island
- Things to do in New Providence Island
- Zoomers Amusement Park
- Six Mile Cypress Slough Preserve
- Fort Myers Beach
- Calusa Nature Center and Planetarium
- Edison and Ford Winter Estates
- Southwest Florida Museum of History
- IMAG History and Science Center
- Burroughs Home & Gardens
- Manatee Park
- Sanibel Island
- J.N. Ding Darling National Wildlife Refuge
- Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve