From a fairy-tale palace towering over the Rhine River to one of Germany’s oldest forts, there are a number of impressive medieval castles to explore outside Frankfurt and they each make for a great day trip destination. Here are a few of the best.
Goethe House & Museum (Goethehaus)
Mon - Sat 10am – 6pm, Sun and public holidays 10am – 5:30pm
Großer Hirschgraben 23-25, Frankfurt, 60311
Located in the building where Goethe was born in 1749, the Goethe House and Museum are dedicated to the life and times of one of Germany’s most celebrated writers. It was in this house that Goethe composed his famed The Sorrows of Young Werther, and began working on Faust. Today, exhibited mementos include Goethe’s writing desk and childhood playthings. In the adjacent Goethe Museum, paintings from Goethe’s era are displayed to evoke a sense of his time period.
The Goethe House and Museum is a stop on many walking- and history-tour itineraries. Given the joint landmark’s central location, it’s also easy to plan an independent visit.
Things to know before you go
- The Goethe House and Museum are not accessible to wheelchair users.
- Discounted tickets are available for families and groups of 11 or more; children under 6 can visit the Goethe House and Museum for free.
- German-language tours are offered two to three times daily, while foreign-language tours can be booked upon request.
- Food and drinks are not permitted, and there are no on-site eateries.
- Free lockers are available to store bags, coats, and other belongings.
How to get there
The Goethe House and Museum are conveniently located in Frankfurt’s central Innenstadt district. To access the museum by public transit, take U-Bahn lines U1, U2, U3, U4, U5, and U8 or trams 11 and 12 to Willy-Brandt-Platz station. The landmark can also be reached on foot, by car, or by bike.
When to get there
The Goethe House and Museum are open daily, except on Good Friday, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year’s Eve, and New Year’s Day.
Other Local Museums
Planning a cultural day out in Frankfurt? The Goethe House and Museum are located conveniently close to several of the city’s other highlight cultural institutions, including the Frankfurt Archaeological Museum, the Frankfurt Historical Museum, the MMK Museum of Modern Art, and the Caricatura Museum for Comic Art.
Frequently Asked Questions
The answers provided below are based on answers previously given by the tour provider to customers’ questions.
What are the nearest attractions to Goethe House & Museum (Goethehaus)?
What else should I know about attractions in Frankfurt?
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Luxembourg City
- Things to do in Basel
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Alsace
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in South Holland
- St. Paul's Church (Paulskirche)
- Römerberg Square
- Frankfurt City Hall (Romer)
- Frankfurt Cathedral (Frankfurter Dom)
- Frankfurt Main Tower
- Iron Bridge (Eiserner Steg)
- German Film Museum (Deutsches Filmmuseum)
- Old Opera House (Alte Oper)
- Städel Museum (Städelsches Kunstinstitut und Städtische Galerie)
- Old Sachsenhausen
- Frankfurt (Main) Hauptbahnhof
- Frankfurt Zoo (Zoologischer Garten Frankfurt)
- Palm Garden (Palmengarten)