Palo Verde National Park
Most tours of Palo Verde National Park include lunch and round-trip transportation from Tamarindo or Liberia area hotels. Much of the park can be explored by boat and excursions typically include a river cruise, during which you can travel down the Tempisque River and spot wildlife, such as crocodiles, birds, and monkeys.
Some tours also feature a visit to a Costa Rican waterfall or include a stop for bird-watching at one of the park’s marsh habitats. For a personalized experience, private tours are also available.
Recent reviews from experiences in Guanacaste and Northwest
Things to Know Before You Go
Palo Verde National Park is a must-see for nature lovers.
Mosquitoes are plentiful, especially during the wet season. Be sure to pack bug repellent.
The park’s ranger station is open from 8am until dusk and has restrooms available for visitors.
Palo Verde National Park is a haven for many species. As such, be careful not to disturb wildlife as you explore.
How to Get There
Palo Verde National Park lies roughly one hour from Liberia and two hours from Tamarindo by road. Public transportation is limited; it’s possible to arrive by private vehicle or on a guided tour. The Tempisque River can be explored on guided boat excursions.
When to Get There
You can visit Palo Verde National Park year-round. During the wet season, many migratory birds can be found in the park, while wildlife tends to congregate around shrinking waterholes during the dry season. Due to the park’s climate, there is a chance of flooding during the wet season, which typically lasts from May through November.
Biodiversity in Palo Verde National Park
More than 60 bird species use the area as a migratory stop, and there are also about 75 mammal species, 55 reptile and amphibian species, and roughly a quarter of the world’s bee species. The bees, along with a number of other insects and many species of bats, can be found at the Lomas Barbudal Biological Reserve, which lies adjacent to Palo Verde.
- Things to do in Santa Cruz
- Things to do in Playa Flamingo
- Things to do in Tamarindo
- Things to do in Playa Hermosa
- Things to do in Liberia
- Things to do in Sámara
- Things to do in Central Pacific
- Things to do in Central Valley
- Things to do in Caribbean Coast
- Things to do in Monteverde
- Things to do in Puntarenas
- Things to do in Pacific Highlands
- Things to do in Central Highlands
- Things to do in Western Highlands
- Llano de Cortés Waterfall
- Las Pumas Rescue Center
- Vida Aventura Nature Park
- Diamante Eco Adventure Park
- Rio Negro Hot Springs
- Rincon de la Vieja National Park
- Tamarindo Beach
- Miravalles Volcano
- Dino Park Blue River
- Santa Rosa National Park
- Monteverde Butterfly Gardens
- Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Preserve
- Baldi Hot Springs
- Eco Termales Fortuna
- Caño Negro Wildlife Refuge (Refugio Nacional de Vida Silvestre Mixto Caño Negro)