From craft beer tastings to scenic boat cruises, there’s plenty to do in Hamburg. Bike through different neighborhoods, see some street art, and venture out to the countryside—here’s how to spend three days in this northern German port city.
Hamburg Old Town (Hamburg Altstadt)
The focus of Hamburg’s Altstadt, or Old Town, is the Rathaus on the old market square. Streets leading off the square head to the classical arcades of the stock exchange, and to the old red-brick Speicherstadt warehouses lining the river.
Away from the Elbe, the Alsterarkaden has elegant shopping arcades lined with cafes.
Along the Deichstrasse you’ll see restored 18th-century homes, and the area has some lovely old churches, including St Petri, St Katherine, St Jakobi and St Nikolai.
The Altstadt is a fine area for walking, with bridges across canals, parklands, statues and fine old buildings to discover.
Rathausmarkt, Hamburg, 20095
Hamburg Altstadt lies on the right bank of the Alsterfleet canal, opposite the new town.
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in North Holland
- St. Peter's Church
- Hamburg City Hall (Rathaus)
- St. Nikolai Memorial
- Hamburger Kunsthalle
- Warehouse District (Speicherstadt)
- Hamburg Dungeon
- Miniatur Wunderland
- Speicherstadt Coffee Roastery (Speicherstadt Kaffeerösterei)
- Warehouse District Museum (Speicherstadtmuseum)
- St. Michael's Church (Michaeliskirche)
- Planten und Blomen Park