Hamburg City Hall (Rathaus)
Comprising more than 600 rooms, a lavish Great Hall and Emperor’s Hall, and a commemorative fountain, the Hamburg City Hall continues to be used by local government bodies today. The lobby is open to the public, often showcasing exhibitions, concerts, and other events—and tours of the building’s interior are available. If you’re looking for a spot to rest your feet and take a breather, head to the pretty inner courtyard for some fresh air.
Many city sightseeing tours stop by the Hamburg City Hall. Hop-on hop-off bus tours are a speedy way to see the building and the surrounding area, while small-group walking excursions make it easier to get a feel for the neighborhood.
Things to Know Before You Go
Designed by Martin Haller, the Hamburg City Hall is a must for architecture buffs.
Tours of the city hall are accessible to wheelchair users, as are the restrooms on the nearby Rathausmarkt.
Children age 15 and under get free admission.
How to Get There
The Hamburg City Hall is located in the heart of the city’s Old Town. Take U-Bahn line 3 to Rathaus station, use local buses, or get there by bike or taxi.
When to Get There
The Hamburg City Hall is typically open daily. German-language tours are generally held every hour on the hour; English-language tours vary depending on demand. Late November to late December is a busy but festive time to visit the area, as the Hamburg Christmas Market takes place in the adjacent Rathausmarkt.
Highlights of the Altstadt
After visiting the Hamburg City Hall, discover other Old Town attractions. For nice views, make your way to Alster Lake or stroll along the neighborhood’s canals. Admire the red-brick Church of St. Peter, or wander the striking Kontorhaus District. And Mönckebergstraße—one of the city’s main shopping streets—is the place to go for some retail therapy.
- Things to do in Northern Germany
- Things to do in Rostock
- Things to do in Potsdam
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Leeuwarden
- Things to do in Copenhagen
- Things to do in Amsterdam
- Things to do in Dordrecht
- Things to do in Rotterdam
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Zaventem
- Things to do in Brussels
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in North Holland
- Hamburg Old Town (Hamburg Altstadt)
- St. Peter's Church
- St. Nikolai Memorial
- Hamburg Dungeon
- Warehouse District (Speicherstadt)
- Miniatur Wunderland
- Speicherstadt Coffee Roastery (Speicherstadt Kaffeerösterei)
- Hamburger Kunsthalle
- Warehouse District Museum (Speicherstadtmuseum)
- St. Michael's Church (Michaeliskirche)
- Museum for Hamburg History