Snow enthusiasts flock to Mt. Gubalowka’s ski resort, with just under two miles (around three kilometers) of runs usually open from early December to early April. The easiest way to reach the top, a funicular whisks you up from Zakopane in about three minutes. Or, hop on a 2-person chairlift, T-bar, or rope tow up the mountain. When ski season ends, a summer toboggan run opens, as do biking and walking trails.
Numerous tour operators offer day trips from Kraków. Whether you’re interested in skiing, hiking, or just soaking up the scenery from one of the nearby thermal pools, you’re likely to find an excursion that suits your preferences.
Things to Know Before You Go
At the summit, a restaurant with an outdoor terrace serves traditional meals year-round.
You can view current conditions via a webcam on the Polish Cable Railways website.
How to Get There
The funicular is located just north of Ulica Krupówki in Zakopane, roughly a 2-hour drive south of Kraków. Alternatively, get there by bus from Kraków, transferring at Zakopane Kasprowicza—the total journey takes around three hours.
When to Get There
Mt. Gubalowka is a year-round destination, with different activities on offer depending on the season. At the height of both winter and summer seasons, it can get very busy. Operating hours for the funicular vary throughout the year—verify online before going.
While you’re in Zakopane, check out the Tatra Museum to get to know the history and culture of the region. The museum has 11 branches around town—the main one is in a large brick building just behind Ulica Krupówki. Exhibits explore the natural history, ethnography, geology, and artistic traditions of the Tatras. Staff are typically on hand to answer questions.
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Warsaw
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Western Romania
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Chocholow (Chocholów)
- Tatra Mountains (Tatry)
- Niedzica Castle (Zamek Dunajec)
- Pieniny National Park (Pieninski Park Narodowy)
- Dunajec River Gorge
- Kalwaria Zebrzydowska
- Family Home of John Paul II
- Wieliczka Salt Mine (Kopalnia Soli)
- Tyniec Benedictine Abbey
- Divine Mercy Sanctuary (Sanktuarium Bozego Milosierdzia)
- Eagle Pharmacy (Apteka pod Orlem)
- Ghetto Heroes Square (Plac Bohaterów Getta)
- Cricoteka (Centre for the Documentation of the Art of Tadeusz Kantor)
- Oskar Schindler's Factory (Fabryka Schindlera)