Munich Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus)
Learn about Munich’s history during a visit to the Old Town Hall. The structure is known for its architectural style shift from baroque to Gothic after the building was bombed during World War II. Explore the interior to see a frieze of Munich’s multiple coats of arms and the Grand Hall decorated with the figures of Erasmus Grasser’s Marisco Dancers. The landmark is a popular stop during city tours including walking tours and bike tours.
Things to know before you go
- The Munich Old Town Hall is a must-see attraction for architecture buffs, history fans, and families seeking educational opportunities.
- Kids may be interested to visit the on-site toy museum, home to a variety of toys from different points in history including model trains, dolls, and tin toys.
- The Old Town Hall is accessible for wheelchairs and strollers.
- Don’t miss the nearby Hofbrauhaus for a traditional German beer hall experience.
How to get there
The Altes Rathaus, or Old Town Hall, overlooks Munich’s central square called Marienplatz. The address is Marienplatz 15. It is easily reached via public transportation; take the subway to the Marienplatz stop. Most visitors arrive on foot, by subway, or as part of a guided tour; parking is limited. It is near other popular Munich attractions including St. Peter’s Church.
When to get there
The most popular time of year to visit Munich is during the summer months. Travelers looking to sidestep the crowds may want to plan a trip during the shoulder season, in the spring or fall. One of the busiest times of year in Munich is for the annual Oktoberfest celebrations at the end of September and early October; join the revelry or plan around the event.
A Long History
First mentioned in city records in the year 1310, the Old Town Hall has centuries of history. A gate located beneath the tower was the entrance to the walled city of Munich during the Medieval period. After almost complete destruction in World War II, the landmark was rebuilt in its current form.
- Things to do in Bavaria
- Things to do in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Things to do in Innsbruck
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Davos
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Zurich
- Things to do in Lucerne
- Things to do in Strasbourg
- Things to do in Austrian Alps
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Munich Toy Museum (Spielzeugmuseum)
- St. Peter's Church (Peterskirche)
- Victuals Market (Viktualienmarkt)
- Hard Rock Cafe Munich
- Cathedral of Our Blessed Lady (Frauenkirche)
- Beer and Oktoberfest Museum
- Bavarian State Opera (Bayerische Staatsoper)
- Jewish Museum (Jüdisches Museum)
- Munich Residence (Residenz München)
- Field Marshals' Hall (Feldherrnhalle)
- Deutsches Museum