Old Town Bridge Tower
Many sightseeing tours of Prague pass by the tower so you can admire its Gothic grandeur. If you’d like a closer look, though, the tower is open to the public. Inside, view an exhibition about the design and construction of the bridge and tower, including artifacts retrieved from the bed of the Vltava River. Or, just head to the top of the tower and savor the views of the Old Town and river.
Things to Know Before You Go
Old Town Bridge Tower is a must-see for history and architecture buffs.
You reach the top of the tower via a narrow staircase, inaccessible to wheelchairs.
Tickets are available only at the box office in the tower.
How to Get There
The metro station closest to the Old Town Bridge Tower is Staroměstská (on Line A), a 5-minute walk away. Trams 6, 9, 17, 18, and 22 all stop at Národní divadlo, an 8-minute walk from the tower, and bus 294 stops at Mariánské náměstí, a 5-minute walk away. The tower is about a 10-minute walk from Old Town Square.
When to Get There
The tower opens at 10am every day. Closing time is at 6pm, 8pm, or 10pm, depending on the season. Last admission is 30 minutes before closing. One of the most picturesque times to visit is just before sunset.
The Old Town Bridge Tower was commissioned by Charles IV and designed by the prolific German architect Peter Parler, who was responsible for some of Prague’s most important buildings. You can see more of Parler’s work nearby, including the Charles Bridge, St. Vitus Cathedral, Old Town Hall, All Saints Church, Church of Our Lady before Týn, and Karolinum.
- St. Francis of Assisi Church (Kostel Sv. Frantiska z Assisi)
- Museum of Medieval Torture
- Bedrich Smetana Museum (Muzeum Bedricha Smetany)
- Ta Fantastika Black Light Theatre
- Clementinum (Klementinum)
- Charles Bridge (Karluv Most)
- Black Light Theatre Srnec
- Apple Museum
- Franz Kafka Museum (Muzeum Franze Kafky)
- Náprstek Museum of Asian, African and American Cultures
- Sex Machines Museum
- Kampa Island
- Old Jewish Cemetery (Starý Zidovský Hrbitov)
- Maisel Synagogue (Maiselova Synagoga)