Ta Fantastika Black Light Theatre
A theatrical form that employs optical illusion and ultraviolet light, modern black-light theater evolved in the Czech Republic, and Prague’s Ta Fantastika Black Light Theatre is a well-known practitioner. Since the 1980s, Ta Fantastka has been putting on family-friendly shows with live actors and puppets, both in amazing costumes.
Ta Fantastika’a main show,Aspects of Alice, is inspired by Lewis Carroll’s classicAlice in Wonderland. Even those who don’t understand Czech can follow the nonverbal performance, which utilizes pantomime, dance, and shadow theater. Most travelers see a show at Ta Fantastika independently, and tickets can be booked ahead of time to guarantee a seat.
Things to Know Before You Go
A pianist usually entertains visitors as they arrive at the Ta Fantastika Black Light Theatre.
Balcony seats have especially good views of the stage.
After the show, a “workshop” is often held that gives the audience insight into how the illusions are achieved.
Some strobe lights are included in the show.
How to Get There
The theater is located very near the eastern end of the landmark Charles Bridge. To get there by public transit, take tram 2, 17, 18, 22, or 23 to Karlovy Lazne or the metro to Staromestska; the latter is about a 10-minute walk away. It’s best to avoid driving here, as the theater is located in a busy part of town with narrow streets and limited parking options.
When to Get There
Performances are held twice every evening. Prague is a popular destination year-round but especially in the summer and around Christmas, so book tickets in advance during peak season to avoid disappointment.
In addition toAspects of Alice, Ta Fantastika puts on a “light-art” show once a month, which it describes as painting with light. Realistic “paintings” are created then disappear in this ephemeral art form. The show takes place on the first Saturday of every month and can be attended on its own or before the main Ta Fantastika performance.
- Things to do in Karlovy Vary
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Nuremberg
- Things to do in Vienna
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Munich
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Clementinum (Klementinum)
- Museum of Medieval Torture
- St. Francis of Assisi Church (Kostel Sv. Frantiska z Assisi)
- Old Town Bridge Tower
- Apple Museum
- Bedrich Smetana Museum (Muzeum Bedricha Smetany)
- Sex Machines Museum
- Náprstek Museum of Asian, African and American Cultures
- Black Light Theatre Srnec
- Prague State Opera (Státní Opera)
- Charles Bridge (Karluv Most)
- Franz Kafka’s Birthplace (Expozice Franze Kafky)
- Prague Astronomical Clock (Prague Orloj)
- Maisel Synagogue (Maiselova Synagoga)
- Old Jewish Cemetery (Starý Zidovský Hrbitov)