Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (Akademie der Bildende Künste Wien)
While a handful of world-famous paintings draw art lovers to the Academy of Fine Arts, taking the time to fully explore the galleries is especially rewarding. The museum may be included on some art- and history-themed tours of Vienna, and Vienna City Card holders score discounted admission prices. And through paintings are the main attractions, it’s not all canvases here; check out the museum’s fine collection of plaster casts, which date back to the late 17th century.
Things to know before you go
- A must-do for art lovers, the Academy of Fine Arts is easy to combine with the nearby Albertina Museum.
- Much of the museum is accessible for wheelchairs 47 inches (120 cm.) or less; museum staff can provide a ramp for a single step that leads into the ground-floor gallery.
- Audio guides in German and English can be rented on-site.
How to get there
The Academy of Fine Arts is located on Schillerplatz, a square in central Vienna. To reach the academy by underground, ride the U1, U2, or U4 to Karlsplatz. The closest tram stop, Oper/Karlsplatz, can be reached on the 1, 2, 62, 71, and D lines. By bus, take the 2A to Albertinaplatz; the 59A to Oper/Karlsplatz; or 57A to Burgring.
When to get there
Aside from closures on January 1st and December 24th–25th, the Academy of Fine Arts is open year-round. Without the big crowds that can descend on more acclaimed museums in Vienna, it’s rarely packed. That makes this a good stop at any time of day, even during the busiest periods.
Famous Paintings at The Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna
If you see just one thing in the painting gallery, make it the “The Last Judgement” by Hieronymus Bosch, a trio of shutters painted with riveting scenes of sinners and devils. Don’t stop there, though. Other highlights include “Lucretia” by Lucas Cranach the Elder and Peter Paul Rubens’ “The Judgement of Paris.”
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Vienna Secession
- Vienna State Opera (Wiener Staatsoper)
- Albertina Museum
- Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien (Museum of Fine Arts)
- Neue Burg
- St. Anne's Church (Annakirche)
- Maria Theresa Square (Maria Theresien Platz)
- Otto Wagner Pavillon Karlsplatz
- Vienna Theatermuseum
- Leopold Museum
- Heroes’ Square (Heldenplatz)
- Vienna Boys Choir (Wiener Sängerknaben)
- Vienna Musikverein (Wiener Musikverein)
- Museum Quarter (MuseumsQuartier)