St. Michael’s Church (Michaelerkirche)
Free admission at the Church of St. Michael means it’s easy to stop by during opening hours, but to see the crypt it’s important to plan ahead—they’re only accessible on guided tours. The church itself offers tours of the crypt two days a week; reservations are only necessary for groups of six or more. To see more of Vienna’s underground, consider a tour that combines the Church of St. Michael crypt with other buried spots, such as the Michaelerplatz Roman ruins.
Things to know before you go
- Art and architecture buffs will love the intricate marble sculptures here.
- Don’t miss the enormous organ, which is among Vienna’s most noteworthy.
- While the main entrance can be accessed with no steps, the church interior may be difficult for visitors with limited mobility.
How to get there
The Church of St. Michael is located at Michaelerplatz 4-5 in the historic center, near the Imperial Palace (Hofburg). The closest subway station is Herrengasse, with service from the U3 line. To the east is the Stephansplatz station, with service from the U1 and U3 lines. The bus lines 1A and 2A stop at the Michaelerplatz bus station.
When to get there
In addition to the church’s regular visiting hours, services are held daily at 6pm; while it’s a religious service, visitors are welcome to join. On Sundays and holidays, services are held at 10am, 12pm, and 6pm. To join a guided crypt tour, check the church website for hours and dates.
Concerts at the Church of St. Michael
Regular performances show off the church’s 1714 organ, with shows led by the church’s music director or visiting musicians. From May through September, organ concerts are held on Saturday evenings; the 30-minute shows are followed by a guided tour of the truly impressive organ gallery. The guided tour is in German and English.
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Hofburg Imperial Palace (Hofburg Wien)
- Spanish Riding School (Spanische Hofreitschule)
- Time Travel Vienna
- Sisi Museum
- Imperial Treasury of Vienna (Kaiserliche Schatzkammer)
- Vienna Museum of Illusions (Museum der Illusionen)
- Vienna Boys Choir (Wiener Sängerknaben)
- Jewish Museum
- Historic Center of Vienna
- St. Peter's Church
- Vienna Theatermuseum
- Neue Burg
- Heroes’ Square (Heldenplatz)
- Bank Austria Kunstforum
- Albertina Museum