Haus des Meeres - Aqua Terra Zoo
At the Aqua Terra Zoo, you’ll find everything from birds and marmosets to turtles and poison arrow frogs. Give yourself enough time to explore all 11 floors, watch an animal feeding or two, and climb the stairs to the terrace for sweeping views of the city. Budding marine scientists can learn about the local aquatic ecosystem at the Domestic Freshwater Fish exhibition.
To skip the entry line, buy your ticket online in advance. Many travelers pair a zoo visit with a stop at a cultural institution such as the Leopold Museum, the Kunsthistorisches Museum, or the ZOOM Kindermuseum.
Things to Know Before You Go
Recharge with a coffee and snack at Café Sharky, located on the fourth floor.
The zoo is wheelchair-accessible, and admission is free for one assistant per wheelchair user.
How to Get There
The most convenient way to reach the Aqua Terra Zoo is by public transit. Take bus 13A, 14A, or 57A, and get off at the Haus des Meeres stop. Or, take line U3 of the metro, and hop out at the Neubaugasse stop.
When to Get There
The Aqua Terra Zoo is open daily from 9am to 6pm; on Thursday the zoo stays open until 9pm. Shark feedings happen on Monday and Friday, and reptile feedings take place on Thursday. The zoo is an ideal rainy-day or escape-the-heat destination, since the animal exhibits are located indoors and the facility is air-conditioned.
The Flak Tower
If you’re a history buff, check out the on-site Flak Tower Museum, and discover the WWII story of the stark, imposing building. On a guided tour, learn about the construction of the tower and its wartime usage, then watch a short film. Tours are held daily at 11am and 4pm, and museum entry is included in the price of your zoo ticket.
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Imperial Furniture Collection (Hofmobiliendepot)
- Schlosspark Schönbrunn (Schönbrunn Palace Garden)
- Third Man Museum (Dritte Mann Museum)
- Schubert Sterbewohnung
- Kunsthalle Wien Museumsquartier
- Leopold Museum
- Museum Quarter (MuseumsQuartier)
- Museum Moderner Kunst Stiftung Ludwig Wien (MUMOK)
- Kunsthistorisches Museum Wien (Museum of Fine Arts)
- WestLicht Center for Photography
- Maria Theresa Square (Maria Theresien Platz)
- Natural History Museum Vienna (Naturhistorisches Museum Wien)
- Temple of Theseus