House of Music (Haus der Musik)
Each of the floors in the House of Music is devoted to a theme. Start on the first floor with the Museum of the Vienna Philharmonic, then continue to the Sonisphere, the Great Composers, and the virtual stage. Save time on arrival by booking your ticket online in advance, or opt for combined admission to the House of Music and the Mozarthaus. Holders of various city sightseeing passes get discounted tickets.
Things to Know Before You Go
The House of Music is accessible to wheelchairs and strollers, with barrier-free restrooms on the ground floor.
The museum cloakroom offers free bag and jacket storage.
Re-entry is allowed, making it easy to break up a visit into two parts.
How to Get There
Located at Seilerstätte 30 in central Vienna, the House of Music is just a few blocks from the Vienna Opera House. The closest public transit stations are Karlsplatz/Opera, served by the U1, U2, U4, 1, 2, D, and 71 lines; Stephansplatz, served by the U1 and U3 lines; and Schwarzenbergplatz, served by the 2, D, and 71 lines.
When to Get There
The interactive exhibits can be crowded during peak hours at the House of Music, so it’s worth planning ahead to avoid the rush. For the fewest people, go on a weekday, and get there directly after the museum opens; the next-best time is at the end of the day, when visitors tend to drop off.
Cafés Near the House of Music Vienna
Pausing for a coffee and sweet is a longtime Vienna tradition—and while the House of Music doesn’t have a coffeehouse on-site, the museum is near several. On Albertinaplatz, try Café Mozart, known for elegant décor and delicious strudel. A few blocks away is Café Frauenhuber, where both Beethoven and Mozart have played. Or, visit Café Schwarzenberg for Austrian fare and colorful pastries.
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- St. Anne's Church (Annakirche)
- Vienna State Opera (Wiener Staatsoper)
- Kursalon Vienna (Kursalon Wien)
- Albertina Museum
- Vienna Theatermuseum
- Vienna Musikverein (Wiener Musikverein)
- Sala Terrena at the House of the Teutonic Order (Deutschordenshaus)
- Otto Wagner Pavillon Karlsplatz
- Wiener Konzerthaus
- St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom)
- Jewish Museum
- Mozarthaus Vienna
- Historic Center of Vienna
- Academy of Fine Arts Vienna (Akademie der Bildende Künste Wien)