Hundertwasser House (Hundertwasserhaus)
Mimicking elements of Gaudí’s Art Nouveau style, the Hundertwasserhaus’s design pairs whimsical shapes and organic curved lines with a bold color palette and rooftop garden, resulting in one of Vienna’s most recognizable and visited landmarks. Join a bike or minivan tour of Vienna to take in this unique work of contemporary architecture along with other city highlights like the Vienna State Opera, St. Stephen's Cathedral, and the Albertina.
Things to Know Before You Go
- You can’t enter the Hundertwasserhaus, but architecture and photography buffs will enjoy taking in its one-of-a-kind exterior.
- The apartment building can be viewed from the sidewalk along Kegelgasse, accessible to wheelchair users.
- Be sure to wear comfortable footwear and dress for the weather if taking in the Hundertwasserhaus on foot or by bike.
How to Get There
Hundertwasserhaus is on Kegelgasse and can be reached via Tram line 1, Hetzgasse stop. Alternatively, choose a city tour by bike or minivan to take in this striking building.
When to Get There
Hundertwasserhaus is a private apartment building and can only be visited from outside. Choose a clear day to admire its colorful facade. There is an information office and gift shop inside the building open daily.
The Architecture of the Hundertwasserhaus Hundertwasserhaus is the masterpiece of 20th-century architect Friedensreich Hundertwasser and was finished in 1986. The building features a playful mix of painted mosaics and different sized windows with an organic theme that includes a grass-covered rooftop sprouting with trees that appear to be growing from within the building. Fans of this style can also visit Vienna’s Hundertwasser Village just opposite Hundertwasserhaus, a former tire factory transformed into a shopping center, and the Hundertwasser Museum, dedicated to the Austrian architect.
- Things to do in Schwechat
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Graz
- Things to do in Linz
- Things to do in Cesky Krumlov
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Hallstatt
- Things to do in Passau
- Things to do in Salzburg
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Zagreb
- Things to do in Ljubljana
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Upper Austria
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Kunst Haus Wien
- Austrian Museum of Applied Arts (the MAK)
- Vienna Prater (Wiener Prater)
- Johann Strauss Museum (Johann Strauss Wohnung)
- Chocolate Museum Vienna
- Madame Tussauds Vienna
- Kursalon Vienna (Kursalon Wien)
- Mozarthaus Vienna
- Hard Rock Café Vienna
- Wiener Konzerthaus
- Sala Terrena at the House of the Teutonic Order (Deutschordenshaus)
- St. Rupert's Church (Ruprechtskirche)
- St. Stephen's Cathedral (Stephansdom)
- Anchor Clock (Ankeruhr)
- House of Music (Haus der Musik)