Warsaw Old Town (Stare Miasto)
A popular day trip destination from Lodz or Krakow, Warsaw Old Town is famous for its ornate buildings, expansive squares, and rich cultural history. Walking, cycling, and Segway tours provide fresh air and a close-up view of city highlights such as the Royal Castle, Grand Market Square, and Palace of Culture and Science. Car and bus tours are also available, including group and private excursions in a retro bus or Fiat car. If you’d rather explore on your own schedule, hop-on hop-off bus tours are a good option.
Recent reviews from experiences in Warsaw
Things to Know Before You Go
Warsaw is magical at night with illuminated fountains and buildings.
Be sure to sample Poland’s iconic dumplings (pierogi) at a local restaurant.
Warsaw is Poland's city of transformation—a fascinating place for history and culture fans.
How to Get There
Warsaw has two airports—Warsaw Chopin and Warsaw Modlin. The closest airport is Warsaw Chopin, which is roughly 5.5 miles (9 kilometers) from the city center. There is a train link that connects the airport with the city center (Warszawa Centralna station). The public transport system consists of buses, trams, and metro lines—conveniently, they all use the same ticketing system.
When to Get There
There is plenty to see and do in Warsaw throughout the year. When it comes to weather, the best months to visit are between April and October, as Warsaw is typically freezing during winter. If you want to avoid crowds, it’s a good idea to avoid July and August (the peak tourist season).
Where to Eat and Drink in Warsaw Old Town
There are plenty of wonderful restaurants in Warsaw Old Town. If you want to try traditional Polish food with eco-friendly ingredients, be sure to visit Polka. Another Warsaw spot known for its Polish hunting cuisine is Przy Zamku. If you want to try local Polish drinks, Pasieka is an unusual restaurant with mead drinking rooms.
- Things to do in Krakow
- Things to do in Poznan
- Things to do in Kaliningrad
- Things to do in Gdansk
- Things to do in Wroclaw
- Things to do in Lviv
- Things to do in Vilnius
- Things to do in Minsk
- Things to do in Berlin
- Things to do in Prague
- Things to do in Bratislava
- Things to do in Budapest
- Things to do in Lower Austria
- Things to do in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern
- Things to do in Bohemia
- Warsaw Old Town Market Square (Rynek Starego Miasta)
- St. John's Archcathedral (Archikatedra Sw. Jana)
- Warsaw Royal Castle (Zamek Krolewski)
- Warsaw Royal Route (Trakt Królewski)
- Palace of Culture and Science (Palac Kultury i Nauki)
- Warsaw Jewish Ghetto (Getto Zydowskie)
- Warsaw Uprising Museum (Muzeum Powstania)
- Museum of Life Under Communism (Muzeum Zycia w PRL)
- Katyn Museum (Muzeum Katyńskie)
- Wilanow Palace (Museum of King Jan III)