- Visit neighborhoods including Prenzlauer Berg, Mitte, and Friedrichshain
- See the Turkish area of Kreuzberg and Yaam Beach, the Caribbean section
- View street art and graffiti and learn the origins of the German fast food called currywurst
- Small-group tour limited to 20 people ensures more individualized attention from your guide
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Meet your guide next to the TV tower entrance outside Starbucks
Concludes at Yaam Beach, Stralauer Allee 34, Berlin
What To Expect
Start your walking excursion in central Berlin. Over the course your walk, you have the chance to check out emerging areas such as Kreuzberg, Friedrichshain, Prenzlauer Berg, and Mitte. In Kreuzberg, stop to explore the thriving Turkish community that calls the area home, along with Berlin’s Jewish quarter. The area is peppered with a unique collection of urban farms, guerrilla gardens, alternative art galleries, and organic markets, all signs of the area’s growing popularity.
As part of your exploration, you also have the chance to learn about Berlin’s unique food culture. Discover currywurst, a popular style of fried German sausage seasoned with curry-flavored ketchup. Hear about Doner kebab, Turkish-style gyros that first gained popularity in Berlin. Then stop by Prater Garten, known as the city’s oldest beer garden.
Continue your walking excursion with a deep dive into the history of various counterculture movements in Berlin history. Discover the 1960s student protest movement, the rise of the Baader-Meinhof group in the 1970s and the growth of punk and the May 1 riots in the 1980s. Music and art have all played important roles in Berlin’s creative and subcultural scene. Hear about the Love Parade, a famous electronic dance music festival, along with the reggae, hip-hop and rasta fans of Yaam Beach. Then admire some of the incredible range of street art that dots many of these neighborhoods’ walls and alleyways.
Finish your tour at Yaam Beach, leaving with a newfound appreciation for the incredible diversity of Berlin’s artistic and ethnic communities.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- AB public transport ticket recommended for tour
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Most travelers can participate
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 20 travelers
- OPERATED BY Alternative Berlin Tours
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Face masks required for travelers in public areas
- "I highly recommend this tour to eveyone who is interested in getting the feeling of how different cultures interect in Berlin." See review