Explore our promoted experiences
- Take in the spectacular Austrian countryside dotted with vineyards, castles, abbeys and pretty villages
- Discover the treasures of the Wachau Valley, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Enjoy a romantic boat ride down the Danube River from Spitz to Melk (summer)
- Visit Melk Abbey, an imposing Benedictine overlooking the Danube
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Meeting point is 15-10 minutes before departure in front of the Opera Fountain at the Vienna State Opera. Take the lines U1 (red), U2 (purple) or U4 (green) to station "Karlsplatz". Follow the exit "Oper" and walk left along the Vienna State Opera to get to Operngasse.
What To Expect
Watch the scenery change from the capital’s bustling streets to the picturesque landscape of the Austrian countryside. Journey through the UNESCO-listed Wachau Valley, a 24-mile (39-km) stretch of the Danube River. Running between the towns of Krems and Melk, the area is celebrated for its blend of natural and historical beauty, dotted with vineyards, wine villages, forestland, fortresses, and castles. Hear about the history of the area from your guide as you travel.
Pass by the medieval castle ruins of Dürnstein Castle before heading to Spitz, where you hop aboard a boat. Enjoy a stunning ride along the Danube, passing the wine town of Krems. (Please note, during the winter months November through April the boat tour will be replaced by lunch).
Arrive in Melk for a visit to the Benedictine Melk Abbey, which overlooks the river. First established in the 11th century, the Baroque-style abbey is adorned in bright frescoes and has housed monks for over 900 years.
Then, hop back in your coach for a smooth return to Vienna.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Due to weather conditions the boat trip can only take place between April and October. As an alternative free lunch is provided. The same applies if the boat trip has to be cancelled due to high water or other nature reasons.
- Please note, that wearing an FFP2 mask in the Hop On Hop Off and tour buses is required by law, therefore bringing your own mask is requested.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Surfaces are wheelchair accessible
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- OPERATED BY Vienna Sightseeing Tours Wiener Rundfahrten GmbH & Co.KG
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands