- Half-day trip from Vienna to Vienna Woods and Mayerling
- Pass through the Roman city of Baden
- See a former Mayerling hunting lodge
- Visit the Cistercian Abbey of Heiligenkreuz, built in 1133
Why Travelers Choose This Tour
Departure & Return
Meeting Point 15 minutes before departure: Across from Operngasse 8 next to the Opera fountain
Return DetailsReturns to original departure point
What To Expect
Pass the Roman city of Baden, made popular by its thermal springs, as you venture through the scenic valley of Helenental. Stop at the commemorative chapel that was formerly Mayerling, the Imperial hunting lodge. Learn from your guide how scandal rocked the royal family in 1889 when the only son of Emperor Franz Joseph, Crown Prince Rudolph, made a suicide pact with his mistress Baronesse Vetsera and both were found dead inside the lodge.
Continue to the Cistercian Abbey of Heiligenkreuz, dating back to 1133, and the oldest continuously occupied Cistercian monastery in the world. Explore the medieval cloister that houses the remains of the last member of the noble Babenberger family.
Your half-day tour will conclude with transportation back to Vienna, passing the Liechtenstein Castle on the way.
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Infants must sit on laps
- Please note, pick up services only available with certain hotels. Please check 'view additional info.' for hotel details and pick-up time
- Wheelchair accessible
- Stroller accessible
- Service animals allowed
- Near public transportation
- Infant seats available
- Transportation is wheelchair accessible
- Please note, that wearing an FFP2 mask in the Hop On Hop Off and tour buses is required by law, therefore bringing your own mask is requested.
- Travelers should have a moderate physical fitness level
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 100 travelers
- OPERATED BY Vienna Sightseeing Tours Wiener Rundfahrten GmbH & Co.KG
- For a full refund, you must cancel at least 24 hours before the experience’s start time.
- If you cancel less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time, the amount you paid will not be refunded.
- Any changes made less than 24 hours before the experience’s start time will not be accepted.
- Cut-off times are based on the experience’s local time.
- This experience requires a minimum number of travelers. If it’s canceled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund.
Learn more about cancellations.
- Hand sanitizer available to travelers and staff
- Regularly sanitized high-traffic areas
- Gear/equipment sanitized between use
- Transportation vehicles regularly sanitized
- Social distancing enforced throughout experience
- Contactless payments for gratuities and add-ons
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- "This is a tour with a massive historical potential that at the moment is not fully explored." See review